POWER LINE NETWORKED WPAN ACCESS POINT AS 3G CELLULAR MOBILE PHONE MICRO-CELL BASE STATION
Original Publication Date: 2003-Jan-15
Included in the Prior Art Database: 2003-Jan-15
A powerline communication channel is provided as a low cost alternative micro-cell base station. A Wireless Personal Area Network (WPAN) access point connected to a cellular radio network via a powerline communication channel provides a low power consumption, low cost and high-speed radio interface connection that allows mobile equipment to access the cellular network.
Lim Swee Ho
A powerline communication channel is provided as a low cost alternative micro-cell base station.� A Wireless Personal Area Network (WPAN) access point connected to a cellular radio network via a powerline communication channel provides a low power consumption, low cost and high-speed radio interface connection that allows mobile equipment to access the cellular network.
The present disclosure relates to digital cellular radio networks such as, but not limited to, 3G networks, and more particularly, to a Wireless Personal Area Network (WPAN), such as a Bluetooth, IEEE 802.15 or similar low power radio network, connected to the 3G network via a power line.� The WPAN establishes a new micro-cell coverage area for the purposes of:�
- Increasing the network capacity;
- Reducing the amount of data traffic flowing thru the 3G radio interface between the MS and a Base Station;
- Providing radio access coverage to a black spot that cannot be penetrated by the macro cell radio coverage;
- Providing a high bit rate and high quality of service (QoS) services in hotspot areas without having different devices; and
- Providing a low cost alternative to comparable expensive conventional 3G micro-cell solutions.
· Cost not effective and expensive to deploy normal conventional micro-cell base station to provide full coverage and more user capacity.� The present idea provides a comparable low cost alternative for deployment of new micro-cells.� Only single new equipment needed by a user.
· Difficulties of full cellular network radio coverage in buildings using conventional macro-cell and micro-cell base station. The new idea can be easily use to provide coverage for any corner of a building.
· Micro-cell is normally connected to the core network via microwave link, fiber optics or cables, involving additional cost. The idea reduces the cost of interfacing micro-cells with the core network.
· Heavy data traffic load on primary radio interface when multiple users utilizing multimedia streaming services on the same radio interface of a Base Station (BS). The idea can relief data traffic load on the primary cellular radio interface by diverting the data flow to the alternative secondary radio interface.
· The primary radio interface of a Base Station can only support a limited number of simultaneous users without sacrificing the transfer rate of other users.� The idea increase capacity of simultaneous user supported by a single Base Station by interfacing with additional user via the suggested secondary radio interface.
· The bandwidth of the primary radio interface will be shared by all of the users interfacing with the Base Station via its primary radio, thus reducing the bandwidth allocation to each user in peak hours. The idea delivers a new solution to provide a higher data rate and quality link by reducing the amount of...