BYSTANDER CALL FOR HELP IN EMERGENCY SITUATION
Publication Date: 2003-Sep-18
The IP.com Prior Art Database
“Bystander call for help in emergency situation”
This description addresses life threatening situations, and the obtaining of first aid help in the first crucial minutes after the event. In emergency situations such as a sudden cardiac arrest, myocardial infarction, diabetes emergencies, stroke, embolism etc., where the patient is immobilized, and possibly unconscious, it is vital that first aid help is obtained as soon as possible before qualified medical aid arrives (the ambulance). This first aid could be administered by bystanders that are in the immediate vicinity of the patient. Bystanders may be reluctant to administer this required first aid help for several reasons:
· There may be several bystanders, which results in none of them feeling responsible for the first aid help – each thinking that the other should do something.
· The bystander may be unsure how to administer the first aid help required.
· The bystander may not be aware that first aid help is required.
In this case the addition of extra functionality to emergency detection devices is proposed.
In the case of such an emergency, the device should be able to detect if there are bystanders in the vicinity, and call for explicit help from a particular bystander chosen from the group present. The device should then instruct the bystander how to administer the first aid required.
The detection of bystanders, and the capability of choosing one particular bystander can be realized in different ways, depending on the emergency detection device being used.
· If practical, a camera could be used. The resulting picture would then be analyzed, and bystanders detected. Distinguishing features of the bystanders could also be detected to allow identification of the bystander chosen to administer the first aid.
· Mobile telephones present in the immediate vicinity could be detected, and the chosen bystander identified through his telephone number, or name (corresponding to the telephone number).
· Infrared or other sensors could be used to detect bystanders.
This functionality in emergency detection devices could help patients in the vital minutes after the event, and thus save lives.
Application Area / Background:
In many life threatening emergency situations such as a sudden cardiac arrest, myocardial infarction, diabetes emergencies, stroke, embolism etc., speedy medical help is vital to save the patient’s life. In such situations, the patient may be unconscious or unable to call for help. Devices are being developed to detect such situations (e.g. Cardio Online ECG belt in the case of su...