Browse Prior Art Database

Cyclone Separator with Integral Blower

IP.com Disclosure Number: IPCOM000091133D
Original Publication Date: 1969-Nov-01
Included in the Prior Art Database: 2005-Mar-05
Document File: 2 page(s) / 28K

Publishing Venue

IBM

Related People

Abbott, TD: AUTHOR [+3]

Abstract

A cyclone separator has an integrally mounted blower assembly. The separator operates with high efficiency to separate particulate matter from an incoming air stream to insure a fairly high degree of purity in an outgoing stream.

This text was extracted from a PDF file.
At least one non-text object (such as an image or picture) has been suppressed.
This is the abbreviated version, containing approximately 96% of the total text.

Page 1 of 2

Cyclone Separator with Integral Blower

A cyclone separator has an integrally mounted blower assembly. The separator operates with high efficiency to separate particulate matter from an incoming air stream to insure a fairly high degree of purity in an outgoing stream.

Cyclone separator 1 receives particulate matter included in an air stream entering the device at inlet 2. This can arrive from a cleaning station or similar source. The incoming air stream enters a vortex inside separator 1 causing the particulate matter to be thrown outwardly within the housing of separator 1. The matter is directed by this method to outlet 3 into jar 4 for periodic emptying. Clean air is thus established from outlet 5 and can be directed to a filter 6 for additional cleansing action. The assembly includes centrifugal blower 7 incorporating opening 5 and driven from motor 8 by drive belt 9.

By proper selection of the components of this system, efficiencies as high as 97% are realized. That is, as much as 97% of the particulate matter is captured in jar 4, leaving only 3% for filter 6 to capture. A typical efficiency of 85% cleansing, that is 85% of the particulate matter entering jar 4, occurs with particles as small as 3-5 microns. The arrangement of separator 1 and blower 7 permits a substantial reduction in space required for the cleaning system and minimizes power necessary for motor 8 to drive blower 7 because no ducting is necessary between separator 1 and blower 7.

1

Page 2...