Browse Prior Art Database

Guiding Mechanism for Thin Tapes, Belts or Films

IP.com Disclosure Number: IPCOM000091306D
Original Publication Date: 1968-Jan-01
Included in the Prior Art Database: 2005-Mar-05
Document File: 2 page(s) / 29K

Publishing Venue

IBM

Related People

Hertrich, FR: AUTHOR

Abstract

The tape alignment apparatus employs capstan 10. Tape 11 extends around capstan 10 and into a vacuum column or other tension producing member. Capstan 10 is cylindrical over 90% of its length and has no flange or lip at the cylindrical end. The remaining 10% of length comprises conical section 12 extending from the cylindrical surface at a small angle theta outward to guiding flange 13. Angle theta is most effective when in the order of 15 minutes. The vacuum column pulls tape 11 downward around the capstan. The cylindrical surface then gives tape 11 its axial orientation. Capstan 10 then rotates causing tape 11 to climb upward to the largest diameter until its edge rests against flange 13 which holds such tape in alignment.

This text was extracted from a PDF file.
At least one non-text object (such as an image or picture) has been suppressed.
This is the abbreviated version, containing approximately 100% of the total text.

Page 1 of 2

Guiding Mechanism for Thin Tapes, Belts or Films

The tape alignment apparatus employs capstan 10. Tape 11 extends around capstan 10 and into a vacuum column or other tension producing member. Capstan 10 is cylindrical over 90% of its length and has no flange or lip at the cylindrical end. The remaining 10% of length comprises conical section 12 extending from the cylindrical surface at a small angle theta outward to guiding flange 13. Angle theta is most effective when in the order of 15 minutes. The vacuum column pulls tape 11 downward around the capstan. The cylindrical surface then gives tape 11 its axial orientation. Capstan 10 then rotates causing tape 11 to climb upward to the largest diameter until its edge rests against flange 13 which holds such tape in alignment.

1

Page 2 of 2

2

[This page contains 2 pictures or other non-text objects]