Original Publication Date: 1992-Dec-01
Included in the Prior Art Database: 2005-Mar-25
Scannell, P: AUTHOR [+2]
Provided is a technique that allows users to access standard operating system dialogs in order to overcome deficiencies with conventional techniques.
Provided is a
technique that allows users to access standard
operating system dialogs in order to overcome deficiencies with
with a way to easily access both the standard
operating system dialogs and to access new graphical and visual
dialogs in applications.
- Provide application based dialogs that may be more usable
than conventional operating system dialogs.
- Within the application dialog, provide icons that invoke
conventional native dialogs or expand improved visual dialogs.
- The concept can be further expanded to allow expansion of any
dialog along multiple different directions, e.g., via toolbar, or
accessing parts of other dialogs, or other objects.
- Selection of information in the expanded dialogs is used to
fill in parameters on the home dialog.
- Alternative dialog display techniques are provided, e.g.,
telescoping prior windows or zooming down the window chain.
An end user
will experience the following benefits:
- Improved ease of use.
- Hiding of native system dialogs.
- More screen space with smaller dialogs.
- Reduced worksteps for specifying files or object names.