Prevent leakage of the company know-how embedded in CAD data
Original Publication Date: 2005-Jul-29
Included in the Prior Art Database: 2005-Jul-29
Disclosed is a system for prevent leakage of the company know-how embedded in CAD data. Using this method, enciphered PowerCopy files in CATIA V5* can be used only on the machine registered in advance. *Trademark of Dassault Systemes
Prevent leakage of the company know -how embedded in CAD data
Recently, 3D CAD not only creates 3D shapes, but can define a template which includes company standard and designer's know-how. If all designers can use this template for modeling, increment of efficient design and improvement of design quality are expected.
On the other hand, security of the CAD data is not adequate. If the file which includes design know-how are leaked out, that means not only 3D shapes, but also company's know-how are leaked out.
In CATIA V5, PowerCopy is one of functions which can embed designers' know-how in the model, and can be reused by other designers. But, since a PowerCopy file is the same as an ordinary file, it can be duplicated easily.
2. Overview of the system
In this system, enciphered PowerCopy files can be used only on the machine registered in advance. For this reason, knowledge information might not be leaked even if the file is copied illegally. In addition to the existing technology "public key" and "private key" (1-2), the new technology (3-6) are adopted.
1. Enciphered PowerCopy file is distributed to a user. Since the enciphered file itself cannot be
opened by CATIA V5, knowledge information cannot be accessed.
2. When encrypted PowerCopy is used, a user executes decryption program. The general technology "public key" and "private key" are used for encryption and decryption of PowerCopy file.
3. The enciphered file is decrypted in the private temporary area on a local machine. A user does not know that the decrypted file exists.
4. Decrypted file is loaded on the memory by Macro. At this moment, a user does not know the file is loaded on CATIA V5.
5. Since the decrypted file is deleted from a temporary area when loading is completed, security is ensured.
6. A user can use a PowerCopy by normal CATIA V5 operation, but cannot see the contents of a PowerCopy. The model which is created by PowerCopy satisfies design criteria.
3. Process flow (From the request of a certification key to the use of PowerCopy)
Fig.1 shows the flow of the process for performing operation which enables use of the enciphered PowerCopy only on an authorized CAD client machine.
Following (1) - (8) correspond to the number in Fig.1.
(1) A user gets the MAC address of the CAD client machine, and requests creation of a certification
key to an administrator.
(2) An administrator generates a certification key from the MAC Address received from the user.
(3) An administrator enciphers PowerCopy files.
(4) An administrator prepares the decryption program executes on Windows Explorer.
(5) An administrator creates an installation image of (2)(3)and(4) in FD or CD, and sends to a us...