Vending machine management system
Original Publication Date: 2005-Aug-24
Included in the Prior Art Database: 2005-Aug-24
Disclosed is the method for maximizing the expected earnings in sale of the soft drink using a vending machine. The feature of the method is applying the technique of campaign management to the sales promotion policy for raising expected earnings of each vending machine.
Vending machine management system
Disclosed is the method for maximizing the expected earnings in sale of the soft drink using a vending machine. The feature of the method is applying the technique of campaign management (hereafter denoted as CM) to the sales promotion policy for raising expected earnings of each vending machine.
Generally, in the technique of CM, at first, the system divides customer set into the customer segments based on the characteristics of the customers such as address, sex, and customer value, and then determines a campaign series for the customer segment which maximize the expected revenue from each customer segment. In , the statistical model of the customer behavior is computed from the history of promotional campaigns performed in the past and the purchase history of the customer reacted to them. Then, under the model, a campaign series which makes the expected value of sales maximize for every customer segment is computed.
Conventionally, there is few examples which introduces such a CM technique on business for
drink sale using a vending machine, the reason is as followings,
(1) In order that there may be no means to distinguish each customer, at the time of sale, it is difficult to be conscious of a customer segment
(2) Although the campaign for many and unspecified persons existed, there was few campaign for a customer segment using a vending machine
Here, we regard a vending machine as one individual representing the customer who uses it or its
installation environment. By applying following two, application of the CM technique to vending
machine sale is enabled.
(1) The characteristic data of a vending machine is defined, and segmentation of each vending machine is performed from analysis of the characteristic data and selling data, so as to define a vending machine segment.
(2) Goods arrangement (the goods currently sold at the vending machine) in each vending machine is taken up, and this is defined as the campaign for a vending machine segment.
By considering the segment of the vending machine to be a customer segment, and considering the goods arrangement to be a campaign, applying the CM technique  to the vending machine segment become possible.
Here, the goods arrangement in a vending machine is premised on that change is possible and having improved for every fixed period. In the case of the drink industry, it can be considered as a general premise that the increase of assignment of the slot for HOT drinks of winter etc.
As for an example of the vending machine segment, the following can be considered,
1. A sport facility (a baseball field or athletic field) is located in near, and the demand to an isotonic drink is high.
2. It has installed near the park neighboring office and the demand for coffee and the tea at lunch time is high.
The outline of a process is shown in Fig.1 using the above-mentioned sport facility example. (the number in the following paragrap...