Ability to display Labeled Alternative E-mail Addresses in the Typeahead pullright
Original Publication Date: 2009-Mar-19
Included in the Prior Art Database: 2009-Mar-19
AbstractDisclosed is a process that provides users with the ability to view all of the related emails directly from the type ahead field.
Ability to display Labeled Alternative E
Ability to display Labeled Alternative EAbility to display Labeled Alternative E -
mail Addresses in the Typeahead pullright
Currently, email systems that support type ahead in the "To" field deal with multiple email address for a single contact in several different ways:
1. Alternate emails are not included in the type ahead (e.g. Notes)
2. Alternate emails are shown in type ahead but there is no way to label the different emails in such a way that their purpose is clear (e.g. Google). The emails also appear separately in the type ahead drop down regardless of how frequently/infrequently the secondary addresses are used.
3. Alternate emails can be labeled but are not easily accessible from the type ahead window until such time as an email has already been sent to that address at which point it then appears in the type ahead drop down itself.
The disclosed process provides users with the ability to view all of the related emails directly from the type ahead field via the following:
1. When the user starts typing a contact that has multiple emails a mechanism for viewing all of the related emails is available regardless of whether the user has already sent mail to that address (e.g. a pullright)
2. The email addresses that appear on the pullright include labels that clearly indicate their purpose .
NOTE: Once a user does send a mail to one of the email addresses, that email is promoted to the main type ahead drop down. However, if that address is infrequently used it will gradually age off and return to an email that is accessed via the pullright.
The process provides the user with access to multiple email messages associated with a contact :
1. Unlike other email clients Notes aggregates the email addresses and makes them available on a pullright. This is different from other email clients which display the different emails in the type ahead list, causing clutter. By aggregating the emails onto a pullright the notes client makes the typeahead experience cleaner.
2. Once a user sends an email to an address it also appears in the type ahead list . However, it will "age off" if not used subsequently and be available off of the pullright, again, reducing the overall clutter.
3. We provide access to all of the email address regardless of whether the user h...