Method to Detect Chart Data at the Client-Side and Render Chart
Original Publication Date: 2010-Feb-18
Included in the Prior Art Database: 2010-Feb-18
This invention describes a package and install charting engine as a browser-based plugin. The plugin is to have the capability to recognize a charted data set in a web page and display visual cues (hyperlink) indicating to the user that the data can be viewed as a chart. The method allows the user to choose chart style/related preferences; the data set displays in the chosen style in a separate browser window.
Method to Detect Chart Data at the Client -Side and Render Chart
If a user wants to view a set of information displayed on a web page as a chart, it
cannot be done unless the web page/site itself offers this capability. Current solution
· The ability for a website user to view a set of information shown on a web page,
as a chart, truly on-demand, without the application having this capability built-in
at the server side
· A client-side chart data detection and chart rendering capability; Chart Engine to
work on the client-side as a browser plugin
· Greater user flexibility and increased speed in using charts
There are currently no known solutions to this problem. Existing server-side chart
engines provide some Application Program Interface (API)/Uniform Resource Locater
(URL) for applications to build charts, or desktop applications such as Microsoft Excel®
allow for viewing data set as charts, but there is no existing solution that addresses the
needs described above.
The solution is a package and install charting engine as a browser-based plugin with the
following key features:
· Works on the client-side
· Recognizes data set in a web page
· displays options to view the data as a chart
· Allows the user to choose chart style/related preferences and display data set in
the chosen style
The approach is described as follows:
1. Package the charting engine run time as a Client-side Environment.
2. Install the engine as a browser-based plugin
3. Parse the...