De-duplication of emails within a domain using a versioning system
Publication Date: 2012-Feb-14
The IP.com Prior Art Database
This article proposes a method of achieving De-duplication of emails within a domain by using a versioning system.
Page 01 of 3
--duplication of emails within a domain using a versioning system
duplication of emails within a domain using a versioning system
Disclosed is a method of achieving De-duplication of emails within a domain by using a versioning system.
Electronic mail, commonly called email or e-mail is an indispensable communication medium for organizations world over.
It can be observed that in many organisations, such as "X" itself, most of the email communications happen within the domain (that is within the employees of the organisation) and some amount of money is spent on the storage of emails.
The motivation for this idea is primarily data de-duplication, which is a strategy of improving storage utilization by eliminating the need of storing redundant data.
Problems & Known solutions to problems:
The problem with email communication medium is that, even when emails are exchanged between users within the same domain, no or less data de-duplication techniques are applied. This means unnecessary expenditure in terms of storage costs.
Why additional solution is required?
The solution proposed in this disclosure provides for data de-duplication and also other advantages for the email communication medium within a domain.
1. How email works? http://communication.howstuffworks.com/email2.htm
2. Wikipedia entry on email: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Email#Operation_overview
The core idea is to store the entire email messages within a versioning system (such as CVS, ClearCase, Git). When an email is created, it would be added to the versioning system and the access for this email message/file would be provided to all the recipients. When a person opens the
Page 02 of 3
email, he would look at the message that is with the versioning system. When responses to the message are generated, the latest version of the message in the versioning system is updated and the access to the message is modified suitably. The email message stays in the versioning system till everyone involved with the message deletes the same.
1. Since the sender and the recipients all see the same message that is with the versioning system, duplication of the email message is avoided. That is de-duplication of the email message is achieved.
2. Because a versioning system can allow for extracting a history tree, users can navigate email chains using a tree like structure.
3. The features of a versioning system allow for different capabilities to email chains, such as branching off, merging, baselining which help in clear and confusion free communications with email chains.
4. A versioning system can allow for concurrent or...