A Method to Trigger Alarm for Single Remote Copy Path
Publication Date: 2014-Feb-10
The IP.com Prior Art Database
Keeping Multiple paths between remote copy is extremly important since "Single-path" will bring high risk to system, once this "Single-path" break, all remote copy will suspend at all. So there is necessary to have an alarm mechanism to remind user for "Single-path" situation. This disclosure describe a mechanism which can help to check remote copy path after user establish them and return a warning message when it hit "Single-path". This mechanism can also check remote copy path Periodically and establish redundant path if it hit "Single-path".
Page 01 of 11
A Method to Trigger Alarm for Single Remote Copy Path A Method to Trigger Alarm for Single Remote Copy Path
According to the current design of storage system, we usually establish remote copy path between the source LSS(Logical Subsystem) and target LSS. We can setup more than one remote copy path for a LSS pair and each remote copy path is established on a separate physical link between the source & target storage system. After setting up remote copy path, we can
establish remote copy pair for each LSS for the remote copy. If only setting up one remote copy path per one LSS, remote copy pairs built on the single path are very likely to suspend as there won't be any redundant path for using if the ONLY remote copy path fails. There is no single remote copy path alarm mechanism in the current storage system, so if the storage administrator establishes ONLY one remote copy path per LSS pair, it will has a very high possibility to be suspended. When remote copy pairs are suspended, the remote copy from the source storage system to the target is not able to work properly and the storage system
is under a high risk of loosing data.
Design the mechanism to report single remote copy path alarm to the storage management console . Solution is described as followed:
(1) After storage administrator creates remote copy Path on one LSS pair, the mechanism checks if there is singe remote copy path created on the LSS pair, if so the mechanism reports a "Single remote copy path" alarm on the storage management console , if there are more than one remote copy path existed and there are "Single remote copy path" alarm reported on the storage management console, the mechanism will clear the alarm notification for this LSS.
(2) Periodically scan LSS pairs in the storage system, report/clear "single remote copy path" alarm in time, and trigger Module-3 to create redundant remote copy Paths for "single remote copy path" LSS pair.
(3) Automatically create redundant remote copy paths on the LSS which has single remote copy path originally.
Single remote copy path alarm mechanism has the following advantages:
(1) Check "single remote copy path" LSS pair through periodically scan or just after create remote copy path, and report "single remote copy path" alarm to storage management console timely in order to notify storage administrator to take further recovery action
(2) Clear the "single remote copy path" alarm reported on the storage management console in time if there are redundant remote copy paths created on the LSS pair.
(3) Establish redundant remote copy paths for the "single remote copy path" LSS pair automatically .
Figure 1 illustrates system architecture of Single remote copy path Alarm Module. Single remote copy path alarm Module consists
Page 02 of 11
of three sub-modules: single remote copy path alarm when create remote copy path, periodical single remote copy path scan & alarm and automatic remote copy path creation for...