CONVENIENT REAL-TIME INFORMATION OF ONLINE CHARGING SYSTEM (OCS) DATA AT THE USER EQUIPMENT (UE)
Publication Date: 2014-Sep-11
The IP.com Prior Art Database
Michael JUNG: INVENTOR [+3]
In cellular networks, information sent from charging elements to subscribers (such as account balances) is traditionally sent via email or SMS message. Such information may not be current (real-time), and may also be difficult to collect into a single source. This invention deploys a webserver between the charging elements and the subscribers, to pass information from the charging elements to a websocket session with the relevant subscriber.
Page 01 of 3
TITLE: CONVENIENT REAL-TIME INFORMATION OF ONLINE CHARGING SYSTEM
(OCS) DATA AT THE USER EQUIPMENT (UE)
1. Field of technology and background of the invention
The invention is related to information interchange in (mobile) packet data networks. The architecture is the following (3GPP):
• UE (user equipment) is the device the (mobile) subscriber uses to access packet data services.
• OCS (online charging system) provides real-time credit control for user plane traffic.
2. Problem and Background
Currently account balances and other information that the OCS considers necessary to be forwarded to the UE are sent via either non-real-time channels (e.g. email) or "interrupting" channels. Examples of those channels and some of their disadvantages are provided below:
• SMS: the information is received must be opened and read separately. Even if displayed in an auto-open mode, the information interrupts any other actions the user may be carrying out when the message arrives. Further, the information is not collected, and is instead left in fragments distributed throughout various SMS messages.
• UE applications, such as a Facebook application: The information is not delivered real-time to the end-user but requires a reload (e.g. a request for refreshed data from the server). Moreover, such applications are generally proprietary.
• Similar to SMS above, but with UE-OS specific mechanisms: again this has the deficiencies of SMS and additionally being proprietary.
28 Aug 2013 Redknee Inc.
INVENTORS Michael Jung
Page 02 of 3
The problem is to provide information to the end-user from the OCS during real-time charging that is conveniently accessed. This can be account balance threshold, supervision or bonus programs accrued due to service usage for a set duration, and so on. It would be desirable to implement an information channel for the OCS to provide data to the UE in a manner that is both real-time and convenient to access at the UE.
The invention consists of placing a webserver in the domain of the operator, which manages HTML5 websockets based on the WebSockets protocol (see RFC 6455). The OCS...