Novadyn™ polyamides - Versatile Semi-aromatic Polyamides and Blend Additives
Publication Date: 2015-Jun-12
The IP.com Prior Art Database
INVISTA has launched Novadyn™ polyamides – transparent polymers that can also be used as differentiated blend additives to improve traditional nylon performance. Novadyn™ polyamides are highly versatile semi-aromatic polyamides with a unique combination of performance, cost effectiveness and recycled content. White papers are attached that cover transparent applications and blending with nylon 6,6 and nylon 6. The earlier versions of the white papers related to NovadynTM polyamides are published online at UL Prospector® on August 20th 2014 (submitted July 31st, 2014) and on October 1st, 2014 (submitted mid-Sept., 2014). The updated white papers are published at UL Prospector® in late-April 2015 (submitted April 15th, 2015) and are also uploaded at the INVISTA NovadynTM Polyamide website link since mid-March 2015.
Page 01 of 13
Collaborate with INVISTA on evaluating a new transparent nylon: Novadyn™ DT/DI.
Face any of the following challenges? Start a discussion with INVISTA.
Novadyn™ DT/DI has very good chemical and stress crack resistance in many hydrocarbon environments where polycarbonate fails. Transparent nylons also have excellent processability, mold shrinkage, dimensional stability, molding characteristics, and colorability.
• Are you seeking alternatives to traditional clear thermoplastics such as polycarbonate?
• Are you looking for lower-cost materials to replace expensive transparent nylon-12 based systems, while meeting minimum application performance requirements?
• Do you have corporate or customer sustainability goals that can be met by using materials with recycled content?
• Do you currently use a transparent nylon that misses application requirements for higher temperature resistance, stiffness or moisture absorption, leaving your only choice as a much higher-priced material?
• Are you limited by the current range of transparent nylons and desire to expand your design options with a new and differentiated offering?
Compared with low-cost transparent nylons such as nylon 6I/6T, Novadyn™ DT/DI provides improved thermal properties (Tg and HDT), lower moisture absorption, and higher stiffness.
INVISTA is committed to becoming the transparent nylon cost leader, building upon its integrated low-cost raw material position.
Novadyn™ DT/DI's unique combination of properties is derived from DYTEK® A Amine, a monomer which is used in many high performance polyamides. DYTEK®
A Amine is typically 99% pure and manufactured from recovered and refined materials that would otherwise be burned with heat recovery, giving Novadyn™ DT/DI at least 45% recycled content.11 Recycled content is defined by ISO 14021, section 7.8.
Page 02 of 13
Transparent thermoplastic comparison
LOW-COST TRANSPARENT NYLONS
(E.G., NYLON 6I/6T)
HIGH-COST TRANSPARENT NYLONS
(E.G., AMORPHOUS NYLON 12)
some hydrocarbons and fuels
Where: - Poor, + Good, ++ Very Good, +++ Excellent
Comparison of Novadyn™ DT/DI to low-cost transparent nylon
COMPETITIVE NYLON 6I/6T3
Glass transition temperature (˚C)
HDT @ 1.8 MPa (˚C)
Flexural modulus (GPa)
Flexural strength (MPa)
Tensile modulus (GPa)
Tensile strength (MPa)
Elongation @ break (%)
Notched Charpy impact strength (kJ/m2)
Unnotched Charpy impact strength (kJ/m2)
Water absorption, 24-hour full immersion (%)