FYI on Introducing the Internet-- A Short Bibliography of Introductory Internetworking Readings (RFC1463)
Original Publication Date: 1993-May-01
Included in the Prior Art Database: 2019-Feb-10
Internet Society Requests For Comment (RFCs)
E. Hoffman: AUTHOR [+1]
This bibliography offers a short list of recent information resources that will help the network novice become familiar with the Internet, including its associated networks, resources, protocols, and history. This memo provides information for the Internet community. It does not specify an Internet standard.
Network Working Group E. Hoffman Request for Comments: 1463 Merit Network, Inc. FYI: 19 L. Jackson NASA May 1993
FYI on Introducing the Internet-- A Short Bibliography of Introductory Internetworking Readings for the Network Novice
Status of this Memo
This memo provides information for the Internet community. It does not specify an Internet standard. Distribution of this memo is unlimited.
This bibliography offers a short list of recent information resources that will help the network novice become familiar with the Internet, including its associated networks, resources, protocols, and history. This FYI RFC includes references to free sources of information available on-line as well as traditional publications. A short section at the end includes information for accessing the on-line files. This FYI is intentionally brief so it can be easily used as a handout by user services personnel.
This document is based upon the work of the User Documents Working Group in the User Services Area of the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF).
Bibliography of Introductory Readings
The following list includes a number of sources for learning about the Internet. If you have more questions about the Internet, the best source of information is your network service provider. For those interested in finding out about getting Internet connectivity, the books listed will help you locate a network service provider.
* Items with an asterisk are available at no charge on-line on the Internet--see the final section for information on how to obtain these.
Hoffman & Jackson [Page 1]
RFC 1463 FYI--Short Bibliography May 1993
1a. Introductory Papers
* Kehoe, Brendan P. (1992) "Zen and the Art of the Internet: A Beginner’s Guide to the Internet," (first edition) 95 p.
* Krol, E. and E. Hoffman. (1993) "What is the Internet?" 11 p. (FYI 20, RFC 1462).
* Malkin, G. and A. Marine. (1992) "FYI on Questions and Answers: Answers to Commonly Asked ’New Internet User’ Questions," 32 p. (FYI 4, RFC 1325).
* LaQuey, Tracy with Jeanne C. Ryer. (1992) "The.Internet. Companion," 30 p. (on-line chapters from book published by Addison-Wesley)
1b. Introductory Books: Basic User Guides
Kehoe, Brendan P. (1993) Zen and the Art of the Internet: A Beginner’s Guide, (second edition) 112 p. Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ.
Krol, Ed. (1992) The Whole Internet User’s Guide and Catalog, 400 p. O’Reilly & Assoc., Inc. Sebastopol, CA.
LaQuey, Tracy with Jeanne C. Ryer. (1992) The Internet Companion: A Beginner’s Guide to Global Networking, 208 p. Addison-Wesley, Reading, MA.
1c. Introductory Books: Connection Starters
SRI International. (1992) Internet: Getting Started, 318 p. SRI International, 333 Ravenswood Ave., Rm. EJ291, Menlo Park, CA 94025.
2. Internet services and resources
* Martin, J. (1993) "There’s Gold in them thar Networks! or Searching for Treasure in all the Wrong Places," 39 p. (RFC 1402/FYI 10).
* Merit Network, Inc. (1992) "Cruise of the Internet," Me...