Sealing Shoe for Multiple Carrier Tape Widths
Publication Date: 2012-Mar-07
The IP.com Prior Art Database
A taping machine is designed for sealing a component carrier and cover tape together. As part of the taping machine, a new multi-PSA sealing shoe has been established which enables adjustment of the sealing shoe width without taking the sealing shoe out. It also makes it easier to change the rubber O-ring. This multi-PSA sealing shoe is designed to reduce the change-over time, allows for easy installation, and improves customer productivity.
Page 01 of 4
Multi-PSA Sealing Shoe for Carrier Tapes
Tape and reel is a method for shipment of surface mount devices. This approach simplifies the handling of semiconductors or components for automated circuit board assembly systems. A tape and reel system consists of an embossed carrier and a cover tape to be sealed on top, and is typically wound up onto a plastic or paper reel. The cover tape is available in two types of sealing: heat activated adhesive (HAA) sealing and pressure sensitive adhesive (PSA) sealing.
The taping machine is designed for sealing the carrier and cover tape together, while the carrier is unwound from the carrier tape supply to the sealing unit, the cover tape does the same. The red line shows the cover tape unwinding direction. Key mechanical parts of the machine include:
1) Cover tape supply, where the cover tape is located and unwound.
2) Carrier tape supply, where the carrier tape is located and unwound.
3) Metal rollers, to support and guide the cover tape down to the sealing unit.
4) Sealing unit that seals the cover tape and the carrier tape together. The HAA cover tape needs heat sealing, and the PSA cover tape uses pressure sealing, either by a sealing blade on both ends or by a roller.
5) Winding station, where sealed tape is wound up to a finished reel.
Because a single taping machine is used to seal on several packages which include 8 and 12 mm carrier tape widths, lost time exists to change and align the PSA sealing shoe (existing reciprocation design is shown in Fig. 1).
Fig. 1 - Existing PSA sealing shoe with reciprocation design
A new multi-PSA sealing shoe has been established which enables adjustment of the sealing shoe width without take the sealing shoe out. It also makes it easier to change the r...