Network as a Voucher for MVNO/OTT
Publication Date: 2016-Sep-20
The IP.com Prior Art Database
Redknee Inc.: OWNER [+3]
In a system configured to enable real-time settlement between MVNEs and partner OTT/MVNOs, an OTT/MVNO service provider can purchase bulk data vouchers from an MNVE, for a volume of data or airtime in the MVNE network across all MVNO subscribers. The voucher also sets the QoS to be applied to data carried for MVNO subscribers. The PCRF performs volume accounting across all subscribers in the MVNE network, and the MVNE's network ensures that the requested QoS under the voucher is applied in the Packet Gateway until the quota has been consumed. Once the quota is consumed, the PCRF shall apply Best Effort QoS to the MVNO application (on par with other generic OTT/MVNO applications), and inform the partner MVNO that the voucher has been consumed, for example using SMPP.
Page 01 of 8
TITLE: Network as a Voucher for MVNO/OTT May 27, 2016
INVENTORS: Sudhanshu Sinha; Ashid Mohammed
Field of technology and background of the invention
Digital Service Providers (DSPs) are becoming significant in the Telecom market, offering Internet based services. This has put traditional telecommunications operators (Telcos) in a precarious position. Telcos can no longer ignore the impact of Over the Top content (OTT) and Mobile Virtual Network Operator (MVNO) players. A recent survey conducted by Research Firm Ovum indicates several messages:
1. Telcos understand that Digital Services are here to stay and they need to take advantage of these services to grow their revenues
2. Third party, including OTT/MVNO, partnerships are crucial with revenue sharing model being the business model of choice for the telcos
3. Existing Telco IT systems are unable to support revenue sharing models both for revenue management and partner management systems for dynamic services like Data.
4. The current OTT/MVNO/Partner settlement is a near real time/offline approach which takes away the predictability and upsell potential that are available with real time settlement.
5. With all the real-time monetization, the settlement especially for data services can also be converted into real time and the Policy and Charging Rule Function (PCRF) can play a crucial role in realising this.
6. Around the world, Communications Service Providers (CSPs) are requesting easier ways of on-boarding OTT/MVNOs and establishing partnerships where the time to market can be dramatically reduced by removing the complex integration process.
Page 02 of 8
The detailed report of the above-mentioned survey can be found at: https://issuu.com/redkneeinsight/docs/insight_apr_2016
Page 03 of 8
There are two problems that we are trying to solve using this invention:
1. The Mobile Virtual Network Enablers (MVNEs) would like to do partner settlement in real time, thereby providing predictability and the ability to upsell customers in real time. With all the real-time monetization, the settlement, especially for data services, can be done in real time. Around the world's CSPs are requesting for easier way of on-boarding MVNOs and establishing partnerships where the time to market can be dramatically reduced by removing the complex integration process. In addition, MVNOs can also choose to sponsor the content in a way where the MVNEs and Mobile Network Operators (MNOs) or CSPs will not charge the subscriber directly and MVNOs can sponsor the data for the subscribers. This allows service providers to offer free services to users.
2. The OTT service provider uses the services of the Telco's infrastructure for various applications ranging from voice calls, video streaming, to online gaming, etc. Most of these services require Guaranteed class of service and the operator's network is used for providing these services to the end users. While the OTT service provider benefits...